Remuneration for Articles
- We offer $20-50 for blog posts that help our audience learn about storing and enjoying wine. Payments for articles are only made if the article is approved. They are not considered to be commissioned pieces; each article is evaluated separately. $20 for basic articles, $30 for in depth gift guides, $40 for detailed wine pairing guides, $50 for highly technical articles.
- We determine the price, please do not send proposals with a requested payment tier. If you are not willing to accept $20 for your article, please do not submit one.
- Payments are sent via Paypal. If you cannot accept remuneration via Paypal, please do not apply.
Follow these guidelines to improve your chances of being published on the IWA Blog:
Sponsored Posts: We do not accept sponsored guest posts at this time, but you are always welcome to submit an article based on the guidelines below. We allow a single dofollow linkback in the “About the Author” area.
Write for our audience. Since our readers are wine aficionados themselves, we look for posts that have a sophisticated, well-educated tone. The IWA audience includes wine collectors and connoisseurs who store hundreds of bottles in their home cellars. Our readers already have a great deal of wine know-how. We aim to publish the work of writers who are true wine experts, not beginners. Do not send any articles about cheap wine or basic level wine education, such as “How to Decant Wine.”
Word Count: 600-1,000. Posts are easier to read if you write in short, to-the-point sentences and paragraphs. Break information into bullets and sub-headlines. The information itself needs to be detailed and well researched. The article should not need extensive fact checking alterations before being published.
General Topics of interest: – Buying guides about products at iwawine.com grouped into SEO friendly formats, such as Mother’s Day Gifts for Wine Lovers. – Currently we are looking for: Top _ lists of topics like “wine preservation” or “under $50,” Customer Favorites (look for items with high numbers of positive reviews), Holiday Gift Guides. – Wine pairing articles (please look through our current pairing articles, to avoid duplication) – In depth travel articles that sound personal, rather than like a travel brochure – Detailed flavor profile guides of unusual wine varietals, cocktails, and sparkling wine articles – The best way to choose, use, install, or enjoy wine cellars, wine racks, wine cabinets, and cooling equipment – Winemaking techniques and current wine trends that would interest connoisseurs. We do not accept health/diet related topics, such as “health benefits of red wine”.
- Content Guidelines: Please avoid references to specific bottles of wine; use varietals instead. For example “2015 Imagery Estate Viognier” is too specific. “Cool climate Viognier” or a regional “Russian River Viognier” should be used in its place. Do not go too broad either, “white wine” is not acceptable.
Focus on being useful. We like to share practical, helpful information. How can you turn your suggestions or advice into action items for the reader? Can you give even more details that will help the reader implement what you’ve suggested?
Photography. Unless it is a travel article, please do not include photos, we will be providing them. If it is a travel article, please provide the full photography credit. If you are not the photographer, include documentation that you asked permission from the original photographer to use the image, or with a link directly to the photograph in a royalty free photography site, such as Pixabay or Unsplash.
Include a two-sentence bio at the end. Include a few tidbits of info about yourself, especially why you’re an expert on whatever topic you wrote about. You can also add a single link to your website, provided it is not an e-commerce site for wine accessories or storage.
- External links policy: Please keep external links within the article to reliable, information resources only, not promoting products that do not belong to IWA. If informational articles are available from this blog, IWA, CellarPro, Le Cache, Epic Products or WineKeeper on a similar topic, they will be used in favor of a different source. If you would like to add product or reference article links to your article, we encourage you to leverage products from our main website, iwawine.com and if you need assistance choosing links related to your topic, please contact us for input. If you submit an article with external links to promote non-IWA products or competitor websites, they will be removed or replaced, please do not include articles promoting other products or websites.
Current Topic Requests – September, 2021
- The Smoke Trend – How to Smoke Food & Cocktails
How to Submit an Article
- Do not send us a topic list for consideration, we are looking for completed articles only. Please look through the blog to avoid duplication. For example, there are already multiple wine preservation articles. If you need help choosing a topic for your article, please reach out and request some examples.
Submit your post as a Google Doc to alexa [at] swawine.com. This is how we prefer to receive submissions and edit posts. Follow these easy instructions to share your post as a Google Doc with us, and remember to select “Can edit.” You do not need permission to send an article. We are always accepting new articles, simply send the article with your initial contact email, no need to reach out first.
Once accepted, we reserve the right to edit the article without additional approval from the author. This is necessary to maintain a consistent tone for the blog. Keep in mind that IWA owns all published posts. We ask that you don’t republish elsewhere. You can always run an excerpt, then link to the full post on IWA.
We only offer payments via Paypal, and will require a full mailing address and phone number (US) with your invoice.
Thanks for your interest, and we look forward to hearing from you!
The IWA Team Questions? Contact alexa [at] swawine.com